School of Medicine Text Alerts Initiative
The VCU School of Medicine has implemented a texting system to allow short alerts to be sent to School of Medicine faculty, staff, and affiliates. These alerts may include issues affecting the SOM facilities and resources. These alerts are likely to come infrequently and those subscribed can unsubscribe at any time.
More details about the SOM Alerts are available at: http://go.vcu.edu/SOMAlerts .
This text messaging alert service does not replicate or replace the text message alert service provided by VCU at http://alert.vcu.edu.
Subscribe by completing the form below.
The name field in the form below is optional and not required. Please note: You will receive a text message upon submission that you must reply YES to in order to be added to the SOM Mobile Alerts List.
You may also subscribe by texting VCUSOM to 21000.
To unsubscribe at any time, please text STOP to 21000.
SOMText Frequently Asked Questions
- Does this replace the VCU ALERT text messaging system?
- No, the SOMText initiative does not replace the VCU ALERT text messaging system, which is available via http://alert.vcu.edu.
- How many text messages am I likely to receive if I subscribe?
- SOMText messages will only be sent out when emergent issues arise. At this point, we do not know the frequency of texts that will be sent out. We will try to send out as few as possible.
- What type of text messages will I receive?
- The SOMText alerts will address emergent issues and concerns related to the School of Medicine. Examples of previous emergencies that warranted notification include the Sanger Hall flood of 2014 and most recent power outage that affected Sanger Hall at the turn of the new year of 2016.
- Will I be charged for these text messages?
- As with all text messages, certain data rates may apply depending on your plan and / or service provider.
- How much detail will be provided in a SOMText message?
- Each SOMText message will give a high-level description of the emergency followed by a link to where more information about the emergency can be obtained.
- I'm not able to subscribe using my phone. Is there another way to subscribe?
- Yes, you may subscribe online at the following web address: https://txt180.com/widget/21000/vcusom.
- Who do I contact if I have any questions or concerns about the SOMText initiative?
- Please email SOM Security at email@example.com.